Google
 
Web PWN

4.25.2006

Why Network!?!

I am a big believer in Networking and I know it is one of the best ways to grow a business. So why doesn't everyone do it? Why do people network and once I have met everyone why should I continue to come? At the Tuesday morning coffee I asked what each person had gotten out of networking and how long die it take. I wanted to email their answers out as well as answer the other questions above with things I have heard and experienced.

Why do some people not come to networking? Many people have told me that they did not know the coffee groups exist or that they did not know when and where different networking events are held. The Chambers can help with this aspect. By joining or contacting the Chambers you can find out about a lot of events in the area. Another thing the people who do come can do is spread the word. By inviting others you not only grow your network but also you help them to grow theirs. If you are helping others to grow their business often times you form a relationship with them and they will sometimes do business with you or they may just refer business to you.

Another reason I have heard people say they don't come is that they get nervous or don't like getting up and talking in front of a large group. Well here is a secret; we all get nervous, especially at first. No one knows quite what to say, do or expect especially the first time. The good news is that it gets easier as time goes on. And in the words of Carrie Perrin Smith "you are the only one who thinks you are a goober". If you want more advice on how to network she teaches a class and has a book called Networking Zone that teaches you how to Network, I highly recommend it. You can contact her at carrie@soarhigher.com.

Others may come once or twice and say that they did not get anything out of it or that it's the same people so why continue. Each person, I have spoken to has agreed the referrals don't always happen at first. Sometimes it takes a couple months. Networking is relationship building; sometimes people want to get to know you first. Other times they may not have a need for your service or know anyone who does at that time. The thing is when you show up consistently people get to know you and when they do have a need for your product you want yourself to be the first person they think of. It takes getting in front of the same people over and over for that to happen. Other times when you completely stop coming people begin to wonder if you are still in business or if you changed jobs and may actually stop giving you referrals for fear you are no longer there. When you do get referrals it is important to follow up on them immediately. You may also just want to let the person who sent the referral know when you have got in contact with the person so they know you are taking care of your business.

This is the responses I got from people at the coffee today about what they have gotten out of Networking.

1. Referrals don't come right away but we are all sales people, whether we are selling a product or a service. Sales people need to be in front of as many people as possible so that they can grow their business. Plus many of the people I have met through networking have become my friends so not only do you make business contacts you make friends.
2. Trust is a key factor in many businesses. Networking gives you an opportunity to build peoples trust in you as well as gives you an opportunity to listen to others and let them build your trust in them. It is a give and take; you give to them referrals, advice, ECT. And many times they return the favor.
3. It has helped develop friendships not only for business. It also gives you an opportunity to help others build their business. It also gives you a better awareness of what is in the area, so that if you need something or know someone who is in need of something, you know whom to contact for it.
4. It took some time but I have gotten referrals from the groups and met a lot of people that I might not have otherwise had a chance to meet. I was nervous but felt that it has helped me to improve my confidence and makes me better at my job. I have also gotten advice from others in the group on things I can do better to improve my presentation as well as how to build my business. I have also gotten many business tips from others. None of this was done in a negative way and I appreciate people trying to help me improve and grow my business.
5. I have been coming for couple months and have gotten my first referral. I was really excited because I was really able to help the referral and take care of a need she has. Had I not been at the group I might have never had a chance to work with her.
6. I just really enjoy it and have gotten several referrals. I have not always had an outgoing nature so it really took me out of my comfort zone. I feel the experience has really helped me to grow and become more outgoing.
7. Sometimes I get at a networking function and don't have enough of a chance to talk to someone who may be a good client for me. After meeting them I will sometimes schedule a lunch with them to have an opportunity to talk to them more. In one case we ended up with a very large client by doing that. So just because you get interrupted or don't have as much time to talk to them at the time, it may give you an opportunity to set something up with them later where you can get to know each other better and determine if you can do business together.
8. People like to do business with people they know. Sometimes people are not as open to talk to you when you call them or walk into their place of business, but when you come to a networking function they are there for the same reason as you. This makes it a more neutral field and many times they are more open to discuss business with you because they are there for the same reason.

I know this is a lot of information but I hope this helps you to see that networking does work. It is one of the most inexpensive ways to get your name out and grow your business. The best way for each of us to grow our business is by getting out and meeting people. The more you meet the better off you are. That is why it is important to not only come but to invite others. If you are at a business after hours or a coffee and see someone who is standing alone or looks nervous, go up and make conversation with them. This will help them to feel more comfortable and help them want to continue to come as well as help you to expand your network and make new friends and business associates.
I personally would like to invite you to several of the networking things I am involved in and attend.

· Every Tuesday 8-9am Coffee at Iron Horse Cafe Downtown Rogers 220 South 1st Street NO charge unless you purchase coffee or something.
· Every Wednesday 8-9am Business Builders Coffee at Panera Bread in Bentonville NO charge unless you purchase coffee or something
· Every Friday 8-9 am Creative Referral Coffee Embassy Suites in Rogers NO charge unless you purchase coffee or something
· B2B Luncheon 12-1:30 every other month through Chamber of Commerce contact Chamber at 636-1240 to register May 10, noon-1:30 p.m. at Embassy Suites in Rogers.

· Rogers-Lowell Business after hours 5-6:30 monthly. Contact Chamber at 636-1240 for date of next one. No Charge
· Bentonville/Bella Vista Business after hours for dates and locations call Chamber 479-273-2841. No Charge
· Women in Networking 11:30-1 last Wednesday of each month at Embassy Suites RSVP for Reservation to kelly.brothers.ng67@statefarm.com
· Professional Women in Networking 11:30-1 First Tuesday of each month. RSVP dsallee@shelterinsurance.com next one Tuesday March 7th at Oscars. only cost is the cost of your lunch.

You can also go to http://www.soarhigher.com/NetworkingGroups.htm to check for other events and updates and confirm dates and times.

No you do not have to attend them all and there are many others in the area this is just a list of a couple. No you don't have to attend every time but the more you can attend and the more consistency you have the better your opportunity to grow your business and keep your name in front of others so you are the first person they think of. The Tuesday coffee and the Professional Women's Network group I have taken over running the others I try to attend as much as possible. If you are ever at any of these and feel nervous or out of place and want someone to talk to or to help introduce you to others so you feel more comfortable, if I am there find me I would love to talk to you and help you in any way I can.

Have a great day,

Donna Sallee, Agent
Shelter Insurance
Phone: 479-621-0555
Fax: 479-621-0556

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home