Google
 
Web PWN

5.10.2006

Akeelah and the Bee Is Now Showing!

From: Doug Atchison
Sent: Fri Apr 28 15:23:14 2006
Subject: AKEELAH opens today

Dear Friends and Family,

After years of perservering, my Nicholl-winning script, AKEELAH AND THE BEE, is being released nationally today by Lionsgate Films. Lionsgate was the only studio willing to let me direct the script and stay true to the story I wanted to tell. I'm extremely proud of the finished film. For those of you who don't know, AKEELAH is about an 11-year-old girl from South LA who competes to get into the National Spelling Bee. Akeelah is played by the remarkable newcomer Keke Palmer, and Laurence Fishburne plays her mentor and Angela Bassett her mother. We set out to make an entertaining, inspirational, and -- dare I say -- important movie, and I think we succeeded.

Because Lionsgate is a smaller studio, they cannot afford the massive media buys that other studios employ to promote their movies. Thus, we're relying on word-of-mouth primarily to find the broad audience this movie should have. I've just spent six weeks touring the country and showing the film to wildly enthusiastic audiences, who I then beg to email everyone they know about it.

And now I'm asking the same of you. Please go see AKEELAH, and if you like the picture, tell your friends and families about it. Spread the word! It's the type of movie that doesn't often get made, and I want to prove all those studios wrong who told me it wouldn't be profitable. Through strong word-of-mouth, friends telling friends telling friends, AKEELAH the film can be as successful as Akeelah the character.

Thank you much!

Warmest wishes and all the best,

Doug Atchison

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home